Long-Term Care Resident Advocacy
Print this page
The Long-Term Care Ombudsman seeks to improve the quality of life and quality of care of residents who live in long term care facilities. The Ombudsman is available to assist residents and their families by advocating to protect their health, safety, wellbeing, and rights.
The Lowcountry Council of Governments' Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program covers four counties in the Lowcountry: Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, and Jasper counties.
SC Emergency Ombudsman: 800-868-9095
The Ombudsman Program is governed by the federal Older Americans Act and by the South Carolina Omnibus Adult Protection Act. The South Carolina Department of Aging administers the statewide program through ten regional offices located throughout the state. There is no cost for services provided by the Ombudsman Program.
What does the Long-Term Care Ombudsman do?
- Investigates and works to resolve problems or complaints affecting long term care residents.
- Identifies problem areas in long term care facilities and advocates or mediates for change.
- Provides information and referrals regarding long-term care program and related services.
- Promote resident, family, and community involvement in long term care.
- Educates the community about the needs of long-term care residents.
- Coordinates efforts with other agencies concerned with long term care.
- Visits long term care facilities to talk to residents and monitor conditions.
- Educates residents, their families, and facility staff about residents’ rights and other issues.
- Empower residents to advocate for their rights and resolve their complaints.
- Residents' Rights
- Quality of Care
- Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation
- Transfers and Discharges
- Residents of Long-Term Care facilities
- Friends and relatives of residents
- Facility staff members
- Community members and others concerned about the welfare of residents in long-term care facilities.
How to File a Complaint?
To file a complaint in Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, or Jasper counties, please call 843-473-3955 or email email@example.com
Banner Photo: Penn Center II by Timothy Brown